Thursday, 5 August 2010

Turn Off the Grid!

There is a person in my research lab that uses 8 computers for his research. Other person in the room are assuming that he is doing some number crunching on those machines. The person don't usually come to the lab and just leaves the computer on.
For the last 6 months in the lab, I've only seen the person 2 times, meddling with the computers. I wonder what he is doing with it. What ever research he is doing, if the number crunching operation would last more than a week, I don't think that the system he uses is feasible for the research.

IMO, he should have upgraded the computers and I suspect that the calculations time might be cut into half. Better still, he should think about improving his algorithms so that the calculations wouldn't consume as much time as it would now.

Several days ago, two lads came to our lab. It seems like they're trying to hook their cables to the network switch. They were suspicious with all the 8 computers running in the corner of the room. One of them interested at the network switch behind the computers. 

A friend of mine told them that the computers is running doing something. Then while my friend is conversing with the person, the person suddenly turned off all of the computers! Wow! That's a bold thing to do. He then said that, that is the only way to know whether the computers are still in use or not.

Now, we just have to wait for the owner of the computers to come to the lab and go amok. I just hope he would spare me and my gadgets I left in school. What ever it is... by turning off the computers, our lab temperature has gone down at least 2 Celsius degrees, and it is much calmer than before. I can even hear my friend's mouse clicking at the other end of the room. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...